5g speed & latency are the most significant features offering new enterprise revenue models and business opportunities. Cellular networks revolutionized from 3g to 4g LTE with the strong demand for mobile broadband. 4g speed paved the way for many social apps like YouTube, Facebook, and OTT streaming apps like Netflix, Hotstar, Prime, etc. Currently, there are more than 40 countries with tested & trialed 5g networks across the world.
Difference between 4G and 5G network:
5g technology is expected to be much faster than 4g, offering higher broadband speed (throughput), lower latency & much higher bandwidth.
|Peak 5G Speed||100Mbps||10Gbps||100 times higher|
|Average 5G Speed||25Mbps||200Mbps||10 times higher|
|latency||50 milli secods||1 milli second||50 times lower|
|2000 / Kms2||1 million/Km2||10 times higher|
Data speed is the most common differentiator between 4G & 5G.
The 4G top speed can reach up to 100Mbps but its real-world speed is only up to 35Mbps. Now let’s look at the 5G speed:
- Peak downlink 5g speed is 20 Gbps
- Peak uplink 5g speed is 10 Gbps.
So, How long it takes to download a two hours movie?
Latency is a measure of time that a data packet takes to travel between two points. Key 5g services like remote surgery, mission-critical robots, self-driving cars, etc. are built on the 5g ultra-low and reliable services.
4G networks latency is approx 50 milli seconds (ms) whereas,
5G URLLC (ultra-reliable and low latency) latency is only 0.5 ms.
And the eMBB (Enhanced broadband) latency is 4 ms
4G has major issues with low coverage and very low connection density, because of the spectrum capacity.
- Typically 4G antennas can support only 2000 devices per square kilometer.
5G certainly has more spectrum capacity than 4G.
4G spectrum was 600MHz to 2.5GHz which uses a narrow slice.
5G spectrum has two bands:
(i) sub-6GHz: It is suitable for broadband services around densely populated urban areas, catering to the need of consumers, businesses, and industries.
(ii) mmW (millimeter wave): is capable to serve hotspots areas like stadiums, airports where the data rate demand is huge, up to 5Gbps.
5G network countries:
As per Q1 2021, commercial 5G networks are present in more than 60 countries worldwide wherein hundreds of telco operators have tested or trialed it so far. Out of them, China & the USA are the top two players followed by South Korea having the most cities with 5G networks.
5G in China:
- Covering around 350 cities, China has made the fastest 5G adoption. The top three CSPs in China – China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom have already deployed 5G since 2019.
- It’s the sub-6GHz spectrum band used in entire China, mmWave license will be added later by the Govt.
- There’re 500K+ 5G base stations that have been installed in most of the major cities in China
- Moreover, there’re 50 million subscribers using 5G, and around 100 million 5G mobile phones
- The average 5G data cost is around 0.7 USD per 1Gb.
5G in the USA:
- Covering around 280 cities by major operators, the USA is in the second position. Verizon was the first to turn on 5G, sooner followed by AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint.
- Initially, it started with the mmW based deployments however, sub-6GHz was also been used afterward. So it’s a mix of mmW and sub-6HHz. Also to cover entire cities, C-band (low band< 6GHz) is coming soon in the USA.
- It is mostly non-standalone (NSA) based deployments in the US, which means 5G is leveraging the existing 4G coverage to set up a connection.
- More than 200 million customers are now covered by the 5G networks across the country.
In Europe, 27 operators are using mostly sub-6GHz to deploy 5G networks. Leading 5G countries in Europe are the UK and Spain.
Likewise in Asia, South Korea and Japan are expected to be covered by 5G in 2021. Here it’s mainly millimeter wave (mmW) driven deployment. Similarly, Middle East, Australia, and South Africa also not far behind, launched 5G in 2019.
Change in every telecom generation means more RF (radio frequency) components, antennas to be integrated inside the mobile phone, and accordingly, it’ll be a more complex & costlier hardware design.
5G device cost is approximately 2.5 times than a 4G device.
Some examples of 5G enabled mobile phones are:
- Samsung Galaxy S10 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A90 5G
- OnePlus 7 Pro 5G
- Moto z3
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 5G
- Huawei Mate X
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G
P.S. Check out more on 5G here=> What is 5G?